Saturday, April 28, 2007

Past Chapter: Swimming Part 1

Do you still swim?
Are you still active in swimming?
Why you didn't continue your swimming career?
Do you have any regrets in quitting?

I have been asked these questions countless times ever since I quit competitive swimming (hence, no trainings) since my swan song Malaysian Games (SukMa - Sukan Malaysia in Ipoh) in April 1998. It's been 9 years since I left the competitive scene. Before that, allow me to rewind the clock and highlight a typical life of a swimmer back in those days.

Weekdays
4-4.30am Wake up for breakfast
5am Training session starts
7.30am Heading/Reaching school
1.30pm Lunch back home
2-4.30pm Homework/Tuition class/Rest/Nap
4.30pm Training session commences (4,500m - 7,000m a session)
7.30-8pm Dinner on the go
8-10.30pm Homework/Tuition class/Other classes/Studies/Sleep

Saturdays
7am Training starts
Remaining of the day could be Homework/Tuition/Other classes/Studies/Rest
4.30pm Replacement session for any of the weekday's session

Sundays
7.30am & 4.30pm Replacement sessions

There were lots of sacrifices that needed to be made from both the swimmers' point of view as a child and our parents as well as coaches. Most of us might not have a life that a normal child would. Late nights on the eve of public holidays were rare for us as trainings were held on the morning of all public holidays, except 1st day of Chinese New Year.

Out of 365 days in a year, we would be training for a minimum of 280 days since we didn't train on Sundays, 1st day of CNY, some sick days and days off for exam preparations.

It was noted in the news here in Australia (during Ian Thorpe's press conference to announce his retirement) that swimmers have a habit of noting time to the precise minute/seconds. We have been brought up that way in the sense that we had to achieve the targets in training for programs like sprinting and endurance sets within a set time frame. After each session, a logbook has to be updated with times achieved during the session.

I was asked by my mom a couple of years back whether I have any regret for involving in competitive swimming and not having a normal childhood. I would have still involved in it but with some minor tweaks to have a little more fun. Back then, going to competitions (outstation) is like going for a holiday with a big family of which I always looked forward to since those trips are my only "holidays".

Laughters, excitements, glories, disappointments were shared together. We were all brothers and sisters in arms. Not to forget all those raggings and late night story-telling. Our bonds are still tight since we have been thru thick and thin together.

So, back to answering those questions.

I would swim if there's a need for it, like for rehabilitation of injury, get-together, charity drive. I stopped because I have had enough. I started swimming when I was 3.5 yrs' old. Additionally, I was the only one in my batch/group left and it was just different training with the younger swimmers, not as fun any more. More importantly, I was so very sicked of the politics, biasness and the personal gains by some that involved in the club/state/national levels. We swimmers were at the losing ground due to those factors.

There was also a suggestion by a fellow national swimmer, teammate, roommate and friend (who retired Dec 2006) that I should have stayed on and trained while in Australia. Perhaps, that the change of environment and better swimmers in Australia would have spurred me to go further. I have no regrets in quitting.

Swimming has taught me many things and included the following:
pressure and stress management, time management, mental strength, team spirit, determination

I am grateful to my parents for bringing swimming to me and coaches for the trainings. Swimming has certainly made me a better person.

3 comments:

whoalse said...

A typical endurance set program after power-training session in the gym or rubber-pulling session.

400 warm up
16 x 50m on 45 secs each 50m
3 sets of:
1 x 400m on 5min15secs
4 x 100m on 1min20secs/1min15secs
Easy swim 200 or Stroke drills
8 x 25m Sprinting on 1min30secs
200m Warm down

whoalse said...

A typical Quality set

400m Warm up
8 x 50m kicking
8 x 50m pulling
12 x 50m on 45secs
Quality set (target 95% of personal best time or at least 30 heartbeats per 10secs after each sprint):
either of the following:
20 x 50m on 2mins
10 x 100m on 3mins
10 x 200m on 5 mins
Easy swim 200m/Stroke drills
8 x 25m or 12 x 15m Sprint
400m Warm down

Neo60 said...

ahhh...good ole training days. tues and thurs were my least favorite because of "quality". good times, great memories.