Friday, April 20, 2007

Medical Jargons

It's 10pm on a Friday night and I'm at home. Not because I don't want to head out but I want to have an earlier night on the night before an early Saturday and probably long night. Besides, quite a number have exams in a few weeks.

I have gotten my x-ray results back this morning. Nothing to worry too much about but was informed that my lower disc is slightly slipped but there is no pain whatsoever. I have to admit that the medical jargons in the report really do not resemble English! Some of the listed ones:
  • kypho-scoliosis (what the?!)
  • retrolisthesis of L5/S1 (which means slip disc and I thought was a thesis!)
  • pedicles (confused? I was and still am)
  • paravertebral (headache almost struck by the time I got to this line in the report)
Man (I mean doctors in general), can't you write the report in plain English for people like me who knows nothing much about all those jargons! It would have meant a lot more if those are translated to plain English.

Tomorrow, some of my friends and I will be paintballing (or pain-balling)! It has been in our plan for some months now but no one actually tried to make it happened til few weeks back. I guess it's tough to organise something that requires a big group. I had to admit that it's tough to get the 20 players on one day for 2-hour session and in the morning. There were pull-outs but some managed dragged their friends/relatives. However, the one thing that I have to take my hats off is my 2 other friends willingly agreed to come along for the fun and to make up the numbers (after being persuaded by another friend.....you know who you are!). Certainly, I will make it up to you by spraying more pellets on you!!!

A number of us haven't played it before but I have and twice during my uni days! It's a great team-building game too. Anyway, I hope it will be a great outing with plenty of fun and laughters albeit the pain. Most of us will be battered and bruised by lunch time.

Will I ever plan an outing that requires a huge group? Probably not........I guess it depends on the group or the purpose of the function/outing/event. I still remember pulling off the appreciation dinner for our swimming coach back in 2005. Obviously, that was done with the help and support from various swimmers from near and afar.
Glowing tribute to a coach - Part 1 (The Star, 10 Sep 2005)
Glowing tribute to a coach - Part 2 (The Star, 10 Sep 2005)

Anyway, I will continue watching the movie Pay It Forward before hitting the sack........

Peace out

No comments: