Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Magnicent Experience It is

Master Yoda, I am not trying to be!


Wondering what Varekai is? It means "wherever" in Romany language of the gypsies. However, this is actually a circus performance by the renowned Cirque Du Soleil. For more info, please have a look at the site http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/. Saltimbanco and Alegria are the other famous productions.

I had the opportunity to enjoy this time around after missing the Saltimbanco few years ago. It is a 2-hour performance with a 30-min break in between. Honestly, I have to admit the costumes and stage set ups are extravagant. Here are some of the very few photos taken without realising that no cameras are allowed! I guess Ignorance Is Bliss after all!




How were the 2-hour performance? I love the juggler who juggled the balls and the hats on the move. Frankly, I have seen better acrobatic performances. However, the combinations of the astonishing set ups, exquisite costumes and the performances made the show very entertaining! Moreover, it's the nearest I have ever been to any show. From the pics above, I am sure you would have guessed that. The seat I was in was 2nd row from the stage itself!
A circus would not be a circus if there is no clown! In fact, there are a few and they are dressed both simply and extravagantly!

Photos were taken with my baby Nikon D200 and Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D which has been considered a cheap yet captured great results. Wondering why I took the lens along rather than the proven beasty Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8D? Firstly, I didn't expect I would be sitting so close. Secondly, usually in these shows flashes are not allowed due to distraction. So, a faster lens is more conducive in low light environment. Besides, it's so much lighter and smaller with the 50mm f/1.8D!

It's definitely a well-worth 2-hour entertainment that is relaxing. For those moments, we were taken to the mystical realm of fantastical creatures!

Other photos are on Who ALSE?!.

No comments: