Monday, May 7, 2007

Life-long Learning

I cooked tonight after heading to gym and grocery shopping. Looks like this will stay so long the workload is light.

Tomorrow the partner will be meeting some of us (lateral hires) over lunch for some discussions. Wondering what's on his mind. With a few seniors left over the past few weeks, probably he is trying to fish for some information. Who knows? We'll have to see tomorrow.

All I know is that I will continue to be a PRACTICAL person with a PRAGMATIC approach in charting my life. I have personally experienced a number of incidents over the years. Most of the time, I am the person putting in the effort trying to make things happened like gathering and keeping in touch with friends. What is more hurtful is that there are some who couldn't confirmed their participations/decisions even with ample time given. To me, such attitude is so very disappointing and frustrating due to the efforts and time being invested in on the planning and organising. If these efforts are not being appreciated, why have them linger in my life?

Everything takes 2 hands to clap. Successful relationships and friendships are based communication by both/all parties (but communication is only one of the main factors). How would this work out if only one party (or a handful) is putting in all the efforts while the rest are asking questions, giving instructions and/or just sitting back idling? I guess once, twice and 3 times would have been sufficient.

It's very mentally draining and I'd rather give up playing those games. I believe I should start cutting off/giving up certain attachments of which I used to consider them close in my heart. The lesser disappointments and frustrations I get, the happier I will be!

More interestingly, I have recently came across an article by Steven Covey on 90/10 Principle. 10% of life is made up of what happens to you while the 90% is decided by your reactions. We have no control over the 10% but we determine the remaining 90% which are made up of our reactions to the 10%.

I suppose this 90/10 is a very good principle to live by. It's up to us to decide on how we react to those occurrences around us. How those reactions impact the hours/days ahead depend on the decisions/actions we made earlier.

Being practical and living by the 90/10 principle may complement each other. I hope to get these drilled into me but it's not like it's a switch that can be turned on instantaneously. It may take some time but I will attain them with my determination and my mental strength.

Wish me luck then.....

No comments: