Tuesday, February 3, 2009

CNY with Family and Close Friends in Penang

My short trip back to Pg passed by in a blink and now I'm back working. Although the trip was short, I have attained more in that one week than my other short trip back. Staying up til way past midnight not having to worry about getting up early was a norm. However, I did not get more opportunities for my favourite hawker food this time around since most were closed due to CNY.

To me, CNY is about getting together and catching up with family and close friends. These I managed to accomplish albeit a handful of friends whom I just was not able to fit into my schedule. It started off on the eve of CNY when we had our usual reunion dinner with family members in E&O Hotel. In the past, my late grandma used to cook in large portions of various dishes. I missed her dishes. Thereafter, I was picked up by my primary schoolmate (whose wife was my classmate) to join other primary school's classmates to their annual Kek Lok Si Temple visit. It's my first time though this bunch has been doing it since secondary school (of which I did not study there). Certainly, it was a great opportunity to catch up with them.

On the first day of CNY after having buffet lunch, I joined my uncles, aunties and cousins visiting our relatives whom I rarely meet in the last few years. This took almost the entire day and I was too tired to head out again at night or scour for food. Instead stayed home and had the pastries before knocking off.

Again after missing out the past 2 years' visit, a handful of us dropped by our swim coach's place to "pai ni". As usual, aunty cooked her noodles for us and many just couldn't resist the sambal too! Though some did mention that they will visit Lee Chek, they did not turn up. It was just the usual bunch of us with a few surprises. Was I disappointed? No, I wasn't since it was a planned gathering but more of visiting Lee Chek whom many respect. We adjourned to Uncle Sunny's place while Lee Chek might have gone to the racecourse (perhaps much later). Getting the chance to meet Uncle Sunny, Aunty Renee, Adrian and Andrew after so many years was great. It was followed by dropping by the Chans' who were my neighbours and used to be driven to the pool by aunty. I regard them more like my brother and sisters. As for dinner, it's bbq over at another swimmer's house who informed us in the morning. She got back from Hong Kong and was recently married too.

3rd day (Wed) commenced with an informal gathering of SMHK Year 1997. It was a smaller turnout compared to previous years according to some. It's certainly better than no one at all. There were 2 other friends who brought along their SLR. They suggested to have a shoot in the city on Friday morning which I couln't commit until later on. After the lunch and subsequent coffee, I headed off to shop for a netbook for mom but shops were closed. It was such a coincident that I bumped into another 2 friends, one of whom was too a swimmer (sure I won't forget you, Ah Mah since now I have a few pics of you....LOL). Next, it was a late dinner with a few friends whom we used to work together. I was about to skip dinner but somehow this other friend too hadn't had her dinner. So, off we went to Vintage Bulgarian for dinner and some beer while at it. I continued my DVD til late night after the outing. In between, mom and I chatted a fair bit too til around 4am. In fact, Monday night was the only night I slept early at 11pm. The remaining nights were earliest 1am with the latest being 4.30pm!

Thurs was spent with mom shopping for a netbook within the budget but it was either too far away (in case technical assistance/replacement was required in my absence) or no stock available for the model I was looking at. So, it was an empty attempt but getting the chance to spend more time with my mom tops it all. Later, I dropped by my cousin's place. My nieces, Emily and Valerie (whom I didn't meet before) have certainly grown up. Of course, pics of them were taken. I left to have dinner with another school friend who couldn't make it to the gathering on Wed due to work commitments.

On my last day in Penang, I got up early to join my 2 friends in the city for a casual shoot. Knowing the fact that they have SLR, I shared some ideas with them on better using the cameras. It was nice to be able to do so. After Hokkien Mee for breakfast, I left to pick my mom up to visit a temple as well as lunch (herbal chicken soup and Jawa mee). Thereafter, we stopped by my favourite shop to purchase "tambun pneah" but I was disappointed that none was available!!! :( Packing was inevitable and after gotten it almost done. I managed to catch up with my uncle who lives in Toronto for a short while. I left for my aunt's ballet academy to do an informal shoot of her students upon her request. I wasn't able to do it in my prior trips. It was an experience.

I planned way before my trip to watch this movie, Red Cliff Part 2. It was great that this friend agreed to accompany me though she hasn't watched the first part. She picked me up after her rushed dinner over at her aunt's. We were late for the show for some reasons (you know who you are and what happened! LOL). I should have driven her new car while she wasn't able to catch me doing it but too bad I didn't. What a wasted opportunity! Certainly, we both enjoyed the movie which was based on historical accounts. I am glad I got to watch this movie on the very last night in Penang.

It was a memorable trip, tiring but worthwhile stay in Penang. My gratitudes go to those who made the very effort to spend time with me. Truest friendships are forever and I'll definitely cherish them.

Gong Xi Fa Chai
It's still Chinese New Year of which is celebrated for 15 days. I missed once again the "Pai Thnee Kong" night on the 8th night and will miss again the Chap Goh Meh.

2 comments:

a_tham said...

Hey Allen how are you?! Saw the pictures in facebook, taken in kek lok si with primary schoolmates, everyone looks like boss, haha

whoalse said...

I'm all good and it's great getting to meet some of our classmates. We should have one together next year!