Sunday, February 8, 2009

CNY in Sg

As usual, I made a stopover in Singapore on my way back from Penang. There is no direct flight to and fro from Penang and it's certainly better (safer) to stop by Changi rather than KLIA which is known to have luggages ransacked. It's more convenient to travel around in Singapore too with effective and reliable public transportations.

I met up with a couple of my uni friends and spend the only night in Singapore chatting with my aunt til around 2am. Sunday's lunch was over at aunt's neighbour's apartment where I relished so much of the food. Some dishes I miss so much since the departure of my grandma are assam fish and the prawns in thick curry (similar to grandma's style).

In fact, mom and I (as well as cousins on different ocassion) spoke just few days ago during my Pg trip about grandma's dishes like stir fried french beans (or kui tao), friend egg with onions (tua chang jian nui), soya pork (tao eu bak), mor qua char, jiu hu char (more like bang quang), tao chiao hu (fish), steamed eggs with pork (thim nui), her fried rice with thick soya sauce and tu tor th'ng (soup). These are my favourites of which my grandma did manage to cook for me some of them in July 2001 during my semester break. She passed on 3 months thereafter. It was nostalgic just to talk about it among us, the cousins. There were enthusiasm as well as sadness in us who had helped grandma in some ways during her cooking.

Anyway aunties, uncle, cousins and I had dinner in a restaurant in the airport before sending me off in T3. Looking back the 9-day trip, I did have a very good trip though I did miss Pai Thnee Kong on the 8th night of CNY and will miss the very last night of CNY, Chap Goh Meh this coming Monday!

1 comment:

anon said...

dude you were in singapore and you didn't find me?! what kind of friend are you man?!

Jerry