Friday, June 1, 2007

Absent-minded Me

I was locked out of my own place on a chilly night (thurs) wearing shorts with a jumper and with an empty stomach. The incident happened when I was bringing out the boxes after assembling a piece of furniture. Luckily, I have my wallet of which I kept my train ticket and security pass to my office where I kept my spare! It was so very cold that I had to stop by Hungry Jacks (Burger King outside Oz) to grab a bite and a drink! It’s more like Hungry Allen hunting for warmth! It’s such an experience roaming to city feeling cold and hungry (thirsty too). Now I know a little bit of how the poor have to go through during the chilly nights.

Would I give out spare change to the beggars here? That would depend on a few factors. We are paying exorbitant taxes in order for some lazy buggers to be on dole. To those lazy bummers out there, get a job! Our hard-earnt money are OURS! Being a soft-hearted individual, I may give to some if I really sympathise his/her condition at that point in time. Sometimes it hurts me to see an old person with tattered clothes roaming near the rubbish bins and/or restaurants to see any leftovers. At least he/she is not begging. I rather get these people food and hot drinks than to give them money of which may be used for other ill-intent purposes!

The recent announcement of tax cuts for the next few years has received some good feedbacks. However, it seems that every tax cut tends to benefit the higher echelon more than the needy. The saying of “the rich get richer” seems to be clearly ringing. Of course, there are more billionaires now and the rich list is certainly growing. Do we really care about the rich since they are so bloody rich to afford anything they wish for? I suppose all government should be more aware of the middle-income earners and the poor rather than the rich! Then again, the ministers are earning more than the middle-income earners which means they care more about their earnings than us, the average-income earners!

Speaking of which, there are some influential individuals out there who are willing to give up some of the cash for the common good. Warren Buffet, Bill Gates and Steve Job to name a few who gave up some of the pays/fees/earnings to support charities and/or re-invest to the businesses they operate. Hats off to such individuals.

Weekend is just a few more hours away and my parents are here visiting.........They have yet to see my humble abode. That will be tonight....!!

No comments: