Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A New Toy

After pondering for some time, I have finally gotten myself another toy to play with, a portable GPS Navman S30. It not only gives directions but has heaps of other useful features like fixed camera warning (light and speed cameras), speeding reminder, distance log, points of interest (POIs). I may not make any more wrong turns or miss turnings. Additionally, if it ever get stolen it may not be able to be accessed by others as PIN has been set after registering it with Navman through its website and Navdesk program.

However, it went bonkers after about 8hours of playing with it. It happened after I tried to get into the Demo feature and it just keeps rebooting without even getting to the main menu. Restarting Loop. Certainly, it pissed me off.....

So, I got it replaced the next day without much buzz as I was advised by the Tech Support in the morning to do so.

As usual being myself, I tried the same thing again after reaching home. Guess what......it bloody happened again!!!! So, I told myself since I will be able to get a replacement anyway, why not try looking for the script files and perhaps edit the startup scripts. Obviously, it's a worthwhile attempt as I learnt something from it.

Having the success, I might just try something else to either change the default graphics/images.

Anyway, here is what I have done.
1) Connect the GPS to PC
2) Go to \Program Files\Navman\SmartST_CE\UserData\ and look for user_settings.xml (most likely the last file in the folder)
3) Open the file with Notepad and look for the following script (exclude the "()" due to html tags):
(property
name="smartst demonstration" value="true" /)
Amend the value to "false" to deactivate the Demo feature and prevent it from looping.
4) Remove/delete the following script:
(property
name="smartst demonstration country" value="xxxxxxxxxx" /)

5) Save the file as xml document.

Voila....it starts up as normal!

I'll try something else next time for sure.

No comments: